Sunday, May 3, 2009

Julias Birthday


I had a great plan for Julia's birthday- a Hawaiian Luau! We had plastic coconuts for goody bags. We were going to eat pizza with pineapple on it and drink Hawaiian punch from cups with little umbrellas in it. We were going to wear leis and put flowers in the girls hair and dance the limbo. We were going to have a hula hoop contest and watch "beach party at Disney world" (there's Hula Dancing in it).



Then on Wednesday, three days before the party, I woke up sick as a dog- fever, chills, stomach cramps, nausea. I slept all days (while Daniel watched too much TV), only dragging myself out of bed at 4pm to drive a group of youth to the temple for baptisms. The next morning, Mark, who had also been at the temple, felt awful and stayed home. I knew I should cancel the party, but Julia had been a little free with the invites at school and I wasn't sure who was coming! So I went ahead and decorated, got the cake, got the balloons, got lots of hand sanitizer and Lysol and scrubbed down the house...



Saturday morning, Julia went out to Dennys with Karen. Came back and within five minutes, threw up all over the couch. So- party canceled after all. I had to use a combination of the school directory, our caller ID and some embarrassing mistakes, but I managed to reach most of the kids Julia had invited.



Then I had to scramble- how do we salvage a ruined seventh birthday? We came up with some at home ideas:

1. Silly string fight, water balloon fight.

2. Herbie the love bug marathon.

3. Nap with mom (Juli still thinks this is a privilege)

4. A new Webkinz (we only have a zillion of these)

4. Cake and Ice Cream for dinner (not the big cake- we froze that)



All in all, not such a horrible birthday. We hope to reschedule the Luau once we all get over this horrible bug. And Julia, despite throwing up, was pretty happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment